When Joe Hockey famously made the statement “the age of entitlement is over” he conveniently left out politicians.
This is a proposal from the Australian people to our politicians to send them a clear message – “the age of entitlement of politicians” is also over. They are servants of the public and they need to be reminded that they are entitled to no more than the rest of us mere mortals when they leave office.
I am passing this on to create a wave … Hope you’ll join in the sharing of this really clear message to our politicians..
It is a privilege to serve in an Australian parliament, not a pathway to a gold plated pension plan.
It has to stop somewhere.
In three days, most people in Australia will have this message.This is one idea that really should be passed around.
[Proposed] Constitutional Reform Act of 2014
1. For Politicians, Tenure by election & No Pension.
- A Politician collects a substantial salary while in office and so should receive no pay when they’re out of office.
2. Politicians (past, present & future) participate in their own Superannuation scheme as do all other Australians – the Superannuation Guarantee Administration Act 1992 (SGAA).
- All funds in the Politician’s retirement fund move to the Centrelink system immediately. Politicians contribute to their superannuation the same way as ‘ordinary’ Australian people. Contributions may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Politicians can purchase their own retirement plan, just as most other working Australians are expected to do.
4. Politicians will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. (Or appoint the members of the tribunal that decides their pay raise). Pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Politicians lose their current health care system and participate in the same health care system as the Australian people. i.e. either pay for private cover or Medicare.
6. Politicians must equally abide by all laws they impose on the Australian people.
7. All contracts with past and present Politicians are void, effective 31/12/14. The Australian people did not agree to the perks with Politicians.
Politicians made all these contracts for themselves. No entity holds them accountable.